Starting dancing in 2002, she works as professional dancer as choreograph or performer for (dance) theatre projects, is teaching classes and workshops in informal and formal institutions like youth clubs, dance schools or Universities, working for gender- and refugee-projects, participates in and is judge at national and international dance events. Her study of sports science, economics and management gives her practical and theoretical knowledge in teaching, coaching, practice and exercise, as well as in event- and project organisation.
Frieda Frost developed an own urban dance cultural specific teaching approach that is influenced by her expreriences in the urban dance scene, teaching at universities, contemporary and dance theatre contexts, yoga and her sport studies background. This approach is focusing on an individual, creative and collective learning space, with re-creating the cultural spaces of urban dance like the cypher or each-one-teach-one concepts.
Additionally, she implements own dance projects and dance events, is founding member of the urban dance theatre collective nutrospektif and member of the Breakdance-Crews Dirty Mamas Crew and Masterplan.
Frieda Frost was scientific researcher at the Institute of Dance and Movement Culture at the German Sport University Cologne (GSU) (2014-2018), and is completing her PhD in 2019. She is teaching and holding lectures on urban/street dance, hiphop culture, gender and empowerment and urban dance theatre within a theoretical approach on dance and movement studies. She finished her Sport Science Diploma in 2012 with a thesis on the German breakdance-scene. In her PhD research, she is focusing on movement and cultural meaning within cultural practices like Breaking within a practice theory approach. Other research fields are HipHop Studies, HipHop Educational Studies and hip-hop culture.
- *1984 in Berlin-Kreuzberg
- 2004 Abitur (Berlin)
- 2005-2007 English studies, University of Cologne
- 2006-2012 Sport Science, economics & management, German Sport University Cologne
- 2007-2008 exchange semester at Université Paris Sud X, STAPS
- 2010 internship at adidas Headquarter, Key Account Marketing, Herzogenaurach
- 2012-today lectureship for Breaking at German Sport University Cologne
- 2012-2014 ERASMUS coordinator, German Sport University Cologne
- 2014-2018 scientific researcher at Institute of Dance and Movement Culture, German Sport University Cologne
- 2014-2019 PhD on urban dance practices
- 2018-today freelance dance artist and researcher
If you are looking for a professional dancer, organiser or researcher in the area of urban/street dance or hip-hop culture, feel free to contact me!