Montag, 2. November 2020

Online Teaching Award for my class "Breaking for School"!


I am very happy to announce that I have won the official Online Teaching Award of the German Sport University Cologe for my class "Breaking for School" in the summer semester 2020!

Like most teachers this summer, my class "Breaking for School" at the German Sport Unievrsity was suddenly to be teached online. I had to modify my concept that teached students the culture and movements of Breaking to an online class, that was still suitable to enable students to not only learn about the dance culture, but to learn how to teach Breaking by themselves!

My self-constructed course "Breaking for School" gives physical education students a profound insight into the hip hop culture, the culture and movements of breaking, and provides methodical and didactical skills for teaching Breaking in school. The students learn about the specifics of Toprocks, GoDowns, Footworks, Freezes and Transistions, about the importance of music, improvisation, variation, individual style and body texture, about the cypher and battle, and learn and create own methods how to teach Breaking to kids and young students from elementary schools until high schools.

Teaching Breaking at the GSU. Foto: Jens Wenzel.

The concept of my class progressed since i teached it first in 2012, and i am very happy and gratefull that the jury of the Teaching Awards of the German Sport University appreciated the work, value and dedication i put inside this concept since many years.

Follow this link for the official announcement at the German Sport University Website!